What is an argumentative essay in the first place? Argumentative essay is basically writing on a topic with proper investigation. The investigation on the topic includes proper collection of data. Data collection includes collecting evidence on the topic. How to write an argumentative essay is an art in itself. Read below the steps to Writing a perfect argumentative essay.
Argumentative essay has to be concise and crisp. The writer needs to establish a position while writing an argumentative essay. To address the question of how to write an argumentative essay. The writer requires to have a complete understanding of the topic. There are few types of essays that require less research. Expository essay is one of such types. They do not require much of research and also short in length.
The technique of how to write an argumentative essay needs a lot of time. It is time consuming and the length of these essays are also long. Writers usually follow a simple technique in writing such essays. Defining the topic is important if we ask on how to write an argumentative essay. Proper definition of topic will make the reader easily understand the topic. The readers must have an interest in reading the essay.
Please read more of our blogs:
- 8 Tips to write magical argumentative essay
- Top 20 Argumentative Research Paper Topics | Best Research Paper Ideas
Process – Writing a perfect argumentative essay
The process of how to write an argumentative essay depends on the writer. Mostly, writers follow the four-paragraph argumentative essay. Some also follow the three-paragraph essay. The range of paragraphs depends upon the topic the writer has chosen. Some topics follow the Rogerian style of essay. The way of how to write an argumentative essay follows many styles of writing.
Let us see the models of how to write an argumentative essay.
Toulmin Model for Writing a perfect argumentative essay
The Toulmin model of argumentative essay was developed by Stephen E. Toulmin. The Toulmin model on how to write an argumentative essay divides the total argument into six components. The six components are
Every argument in Toulmin model, begin with the three parts. The three parts of the model are claim, ground and warrant. (Source: LiteraryDevice)
The claim of the Toulmin model refers to the assertion the writer is claiming. In support to the claim, evidence or source of evidence has to be put forward.
Evidence are important part of the Toulmin model. The reader understands the reason for the choice of topic. The next part of the Toulmin model on how to Writing a perfect argumentative essay is warrant. A warrant is a bridge between the claim and evidence. Because warrant helps to connect both the parts of the essay, it is important in this model.
The next part after warrant is backing. The other word for backing is backup. The back up for warrant, i.e. the warrant is rational. Proper sources make the rationale more obvious to the readers. Backing proves the authenticity of the evidence that is in support of the claim. The very next step is counterargument or rebuttal. This part of the model depends upon the writer if he wants to mention. And it is justified if the writer mentions the objection to the claim. The reader will get a clear understanding of both the viewpoints.
The last part of Toulmin model is qualifier. Qualifier is important to how to write an argumentative essay. It adds to the claim put forward in the counterarguments.
Is Toulmin model effective in Writing a perfect argumentative essay
The Toulmin model on how to write an argumentative essay is a test in itself. The writer finds this model to be helpful in writing an essay. Because Toulmin model helps to test an argument in detail about the chosen topic. This model consists of six parts. These six parts help to analyze each and every point put forward by the writer.
The effectiveness of the model depends upon the writer. This model of how to write an argumentative essay test the skills of the writer. The model test the critical skills of the writer. This model is also the test of creativity. Therefore, this model on how to write an argumentative essay puts to test the skills and creativity of the writer. (Source: OwlExcelsior)
Toulmin model teaches to construct an argument. Arguments are important for an essay. These arguments are not necessarily for writing the paper. They mainly help in the process of understanding the topic. As a result, the key points are easily highlighted in the essay.
Rogerian Model for Writing a perfect argumentative essay
The Rogerian model of argumentative essay is useful in just finding the points that are relevant. This model on how to write an argumentative essay put forward the effective channel for discussion. It helps in debates when neither of the parties are willing to listen to each other. This model allows the reader to understand both the viewpoints. As a result, the reader develops a clear understanding of the topic. Clarity can be maintained while following this model of how to write an argumentative essay.
Basic outline of the Rogerian model
- Presenting the issue to the readers is the first priority. The introduction to the problem put in the essay should be highlighted. Because this will enable the reader to understand the issue. At the same time, the reason why the problem should be addressed is also important.
- Both the viewpoints are treated equally in the argumentative essay. Therefore, summarizing the opposing points are also important in this model. As a result, the reader will be more interested in reading the essay. Presentation of one point will be monotonous for the reader. But different views, on the topic will help the writer engage the audience.
- There is no need to prove anything. The points that are valid is put forward. These points are true to a particular context. It is important to check the validity of the argument.
- The last step is to explain why the reader should adopt the points. In Rogerian model of how to write an argumentative essay, benefits of stating the argument is important. Because this model helps in debates and discussions.
Classical Model for Writing a perfect argumentative essay
This model is the simplest model of an argumentative essay. It follow the basic rules of writing an essay. Classical model is the most popular way of putting forward an argument strategy. The model is designed in such a way that the readers find a connection between every point.
In this model of how to write an argumentative essay, the writer presents the problem. After the problem, the writer introduces the solution. The third part is important as the writer needs to prove the authenticity of the solution. He needs to convince the reader regarding the solution. At the same time, explaining your solution is equally important. This will enable the reader to have an understanding. (Source: MyPerfectWords)
Outline of the classical model on Writing a perfect argumentative essay
- The essay starts with an introduction. Introductions helps to grasp the readers attention.
- The problem needs to addressed very categorically. Therefore, having a background of the argument is important. Facts and sources about the essay needs to come out to the readers.
- The third part of this model on how to write an argumentative essay is thesis. Here, you will state your position regarding the argument. The thesis section contains the outline of the main argument.
- After the thesis comes the argument part. In this section, you will highlight the importance of your position. Reasons why you are supporting the argument should be put forward. Sourcing should be appropriate. Because the readers find the arguments true in the essay.
- One of the key highlights of this model is that you need to prove why the opposing viewpoints are not valid. This is called refutation. This is very helpful or a debate.
- Conclusion is the last point. In this section, you need to summarize the key points. At the same time, state your position on why it is true and effective.
Format for Writing a perfect argumentative essay
To know how to write an argumentative essay, it is necessary to follow a set pattern. The essay can be broadly classified into three parts. The first part is the introduction. After introduction comes the main body. Conclusion comes at the last.
- Introduction is at the starting of an argumentative essay. This part is very important, because it helps in capturing the interest of the readers. The background information about the topic is in this segment. Summarize your key points in this section.
- The next part after the introduction is main body. In this main body arguments are put forward in a detailed manner. The evidence in support of your argument must be explained. Proper reasoning will convince the readers that the arguments are true. The main body consists of three to five paragraphs. Each paragraph is self-explanatory. The key points are added in this section.
- Conclusion is the last part of the essay. In this section, the main body is summarized. The highlights of the main body are presented in this section. New arguments are not placed in this section. The relevance and importance of the argument are put forward.
Topics of an argumentative essay
The argumentative essays can be of many types. The proper topics for how to write an argumentative essay can be broadly separated. The major topics are based on science and technology, social issues, political content etc. In the modern times, topics on environment are also gaining importance.
Education – Writing a perfect argumentative essay
The relevant topics on social issues of how to write an argumentative essay are
- Cleaning toilets should be a part of the school curriculum.
- Are school uniforms a good idea?
- Should college be free? (Source: PrepScholar)
Politics – Writing a perfect argumentative essay
The important topics for an argumentative essay are
- Is the electoral college an effective system for modern America?
- Should voter registration be automatic?
- Should death penalty be banned as a form of punishment?
Technology – Writing a perfect argumentative essay
The important issues regarding technology on how to write an argumentative essay
- Effects of internet on the society
- Laws against the use of cell phones while driving
Science – Writing a perfect argumentative essay
The relevant issues on science of how to write an argumentative essay are
- The involvement of all the government on matters of climate change
- The importance of vaccination on attending public school.
Conclusion – Writing a perfect argumentative essay
In this blog we see the ways on how to write an argumentative essay. The structure of writing an argumentative essay is very important. Proper format on how to write an argumentative essay enables the readers to understand the key points.
The relevant topics for discussion is included in an argumentative essay. Different models are there while writing an argumentative essay. In most of the cases, arguments are made with proper sources and data. Relevant source of information helps in developing a command over the essay. This eases the way on how to write an argumentative essay.
Read more of our blogs: