Data Science is the most in-demand field in the world right now, and as such, the number of Data Science Universities in USA is also growing.
Data scientists have been ranked among the top 3 jobs in the USA by Glassdoor for consecutive 6 years . It was only in 2020 that it was knocked down to the second position after ranking first from 2017-2021. The average Data Scientist salary is around $113,736.
Given these conditions, the industry is booming. Many leading universities are offering both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Data Science. MS in Data Science in US is a popular and more opted-for program than the bachelor’s degree.
Since Data Science is a discipline consisting of Statistics, Mathematics, Programming language and computer science, individuals with related Bachelor’s degrees opt for MS in Data Science programs.
We have compiled a list of the 50 best data science universities in the USA. You can take your pick based on the specialisation you are looking for, or an undergraduate or MS Degree.
Read more about Best universities in USA:
Top 50 Data Science Universities in USA
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Ranked no. 1 among the best universities for data science in USA, MIT offers undergraduate in Data Science programs while an MS in Data Analytics and Pre Masters in Data Science.
- The duration of the Master’s course is for 4 years while the Master’s Program is 2 years.
- The tuition fee per annum for the Bachelor’s course is around $52,000
University of California Berkley
- Among the best universities for Data Science in US, the University of California offers a wide range of Data science courses in both majors and minors sections. This degree here is of Bachelor’s in Arts (BA) 
- The duration of the course is 4 years.
- The tuition fee begins from $44,115 for in-state students.
The George Washington University – School of Engineering and Applied Science | Data Science Universities in USA
- This university located in Washington offers MS in Data Science programs. This program is in collaboration with the Department of Computer Science, Department of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering.
- The duration of the course is – 2-3 years.
- The course fee begins at around $32.2K per year.
Harvard University, Cambridge
- Ranked at no.3 among the top world’s top universities , Harvard is among the best universities for masters in data science in USA. It offers MS in Data Science and MS in Health Data Science.
- The course duration of MS in Data Science is of 2 years while the MS in Health Science is 1 year.
- The course fee begins from $58,200/year.
- Stanford doesn’t directly offer an undergraduate degree in Data Science but its B.Sc in Computer Science degree is an incredible foundation for further MS programs. Apart from the undergraduate degree, Stanford also offers MS in Statistics – data science. The acceptance rate at Stanford is only 6% making it one of the most difficult universities to get into.
- The master’s course duration is of 2 years while that of Bachelor’s is 4 years.
- Course fees begin from $70.5K/per year for Bachelors programs and $54.3k/per year for the Master’s program.
- One of the top private universities in USA, Yale University falls in the group of top Ivy League schools in America. The University offers BSc and MS in Data Science and Statistics degrees.
- The duration of the BSc degree is 4 years while that of the MS degree is 2 years.
- The course fees begin at $44.4K/year
Columbia University, New York City | Data Science Universities in USA
- This university offers MS in Data Science programs and Applied Analytics. It has an acceptance rate of 5.6% and is the 2nd most selective university among the Ivy League schools. Students must have a 4.2 GPA or higher to apply for admissions here.
- The duration of the courses is 1 year
- The per annum fees of the curriculum begins at $56,300.
University of Pennsylvania
- The MS program offered here is Engineering in Data Science. The minimum GPA required to get admission here is 3.9. It is one of the eight members of the Ivy League board and is thus counted as an Ivy League school.
- The duration of the course offered here is 1.5 years.
- The per annum fees begins at $1.5K and thus is one of the affordable universities in US for data science.
Read more about Best Universities in USA:
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor | Data Science Universities in USA
- The University of Michigan is a public university that is considered to be among the best universities for data science in USA. Not just academics but it also boasts having 1500+ student organisations. Providing a perfect balance of academics and co-curricular, It is ranked among the top 50 Universities in the world as well as in America. The Course offered here is MS in Data Science.
- The Duration of the course is 1 year
- The per annum fee for the course is $26,500 Approx. per year.
Duke University, Durham | Data Science Universities in USA
- One of the best private universities in the US, Duke University offers impressive MS in Data Science programs. It also boasts fulfilling 100% of demonstrated needs of students and offers a wide range of scholarships for students. They even offer work-study programs through which students can earn up to $2200/per year.
- The duration of the course is 2 years.
- The course fees begin at $28.9K/per year.
Carnegie Mellon University
- One of the most reputed Universities in US, Carnegie Mellon University is known for its MS in Computational Data Science Program. The master’s degree offers a thorough knowledge of programming languages, machine learning, Computing Big Data, Software Engineering etc. Apart from this course, it also offers MS in Artificial Learning and Innovation and MSc in Machine Learning.
- The duration of the courses is 2 years
- The course fees begin at $54,500 and may go up depending on the course and other expenditures.
New York University, New York City | Data Science Universities in USA
- New York University is the first university in the world to offer an MS in Data Science program. It is also ranked among the top 50 Universities in the world by QS Top Universities rankings.  It has an acceptance rate of only 12.8% making it quite stringent when it comes to accepting students to its world-renowned programs. Apart from Ms in Data Science, it also offers MSc. In Data analytics and Business Computing.
- The duration of each course is 2 years
- The course fees begin at $35.8K per year for each course.
University of Washington
- The University of Washington offers MSc in Data Science program. The course offered shall provide a comprehensive knowledge of Statistical Machine learning, Data Visualisation, Information Visualisation and a Capstone project among many things. Classes are held in the evening so it provides a perfect option for the individuals who wish to work alongside their studies.
- The duration of the course is 1.5 years.
- The fee for the course begins at $48,400 per annum.
University of Texas, Austin
- Ranked among the best Universities in US, The University of Texas offers an undergraduate program in Data Science. BSc. Data Science and Statistics provides a perfect foundation for a better understanding of Statistical predictions, Data Computing, data visualisation etc.
- The course duration is of 4 years like most Undergraduate degrees.
- The fees for the course begins at $46,200 per annum
Johns Hopkin’s University
- The US News Portal has ranked Johns Hopkins University at No.9 among the best national universities in the US. The course offered by them is a Master’s in Data Science degree.
- The duration of the course is for 2 years
- The entire cost of the program is around $112,000
University of Southern California
- The University of Southern California offers MSc in applied Data Science and MS in Computer Science with a specialisation in Data Science. The MS in Computer Science program is run by the Viterbi School of Engineering. This is among the top courses in US and has connections with Boeing and the American military.
- The duration of the course here is 2 years.
- The price bracket for the course begins at $24.8K/per annum.
University of Wisconsin | Data Science Universities in USA
- This university has been featured in the top 10 of US News and World reports ranking for computer science and statistic. The University of Wisconsin offers an MS in Data Science. According to the University of Wisconsin, this “Data Science program gives you the skills to make sense of complex data to achieve organizational goals”  Apart from the Master’s program, this university also offers a BA in Data Science.
- The course duration of the master’s program is 1-2 years while that of the Bachelor’s is 4 years.
- The tuition for the Master’s program is $1600 per credit. While the course fee for the undergraduate data science course is $38.6K per annum.
Brown University, Providence | Data Science Universities in USA
- With an acceptance rate of 9%, Brown University is a difficult one to crack. It has been ranked at no. 14 in the list of best National Universities by the US News And World Report. One of the most known data science universities in USA, Brown offers MSc in Data Science and also a PhD in Biostatistics.
- The course duration of the Master’s program is 2 years, while that of the PhD is 4 years.
- The tuition is $69.2K per year for the Masters in Data Science Program.
Indiana University, Bloomington
- Indiana University offers a wide range of courses varying through different subjects and totalling up to about 550 courses. The MS in Data Science program offered by Indiana University is unique in its approach. It offers students two different paths – a technical path and a decision-making path. The technical part mostly focuses on technical aspects such as cloud computing, network system etc. while the Decision-making path focuses more on Managerial aspects.
- The duration of the course is 1 year.
- The course fee begins at $31,500 per year.
The University of California, Irvine
- The University of California offers an undergraduate degree here in Data Science. BSc in Data Science is the undergraduate degree offered here. They also offer financial aid to over 63% of students every year.
- The duration of the course is 4 years, like all undergraduate courses.
- The tuition fee for the course begins at $40.4K/year
University of California, San Diego | Data Science Universities in USA
- This public university offer MS in Data Science program. Apart from the MS in Data Science, they also offer PhD in Data Science.
- The duration of the master’s course is 2 years, while that of the PhD is 4 years.
- The course fees begin at $26.5K per annum.
Boston University, Boston | Data Science Universities in USA
- This Private university offer MSc. in Data Analytics. Among the most coveted private universities by international students, Boston University matches a healthy balance between academics and Curriculars with over 500 clubs and 300+ majors and minors.
- The duration of the MS in Data Analytics course here is 2 years.
- The cost of the tuition fees begins at around $59K per year.
Read about Best Universities in world:
- 50 Best Universities in Korea
- Best University in Oklahoma City for 2022
- TOP 10 Universities in San Diego
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What type of jobs can you get after a Data Science degree?
Answer: With America being home to Silicon Valley, the jobs are ample. After doing masters in data science in US, you can work in various career profiles like Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Data engineers, survey analysts, research analysts, business analysts, etc.
Q2. Will the data science industry grow in the future?
A2. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of jobs in the field of data science will grow by 28% through 2026. Which is roughly, 11.5 million jobs. So, yes this industry definitely is going to grow in the near future.
Q3. Is Financial aid/scholarships available in these universities?
A3. Yes, Financial aid and Scholarships are provided on a needs/performance basis, whichever shall be the case. Universities like Duke University aims to fulfil 100% of the demonstrated needs of the students. It also provides opportunities to work alongside studying.
Data science is a very lucrative field and is worth exploring. Not just offline degrees, but a vast variety of online data science courses is also available. With the world changing into bits and bytes, data is growing at a massive rate. As such the demand for data professionals continue to grow.
The above list of Data Science Universities in America lists the best universities in the country with Placements, Academic curriculum, Student life, Affordability – in mind. It is the new future, and Major Data Science Universities in US and around the world are also resonating with this thought with their well-fleshed out courses. With these things in mind, this degree is surely going to become the most sought after course.
 Best Jobs in America. (n.d.-b). Glassdoor. https://www.glassdoor.com/List/Best-Jobs-in-America-LST_KQ0,20.htm
 QS World University Rankings 2021. (n.d.). Top Universities. https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2021
 FAQs. (2021, August 12). Computing, Data Science, and Society. https://data.berkeley.edu/education/faqs
 Statistics: Data Science. (2021, October 28). Professional Degrees & Certificates. https://pdc.wisc.edu/degrees/data-science/